For Your Clients: Tenants’ Renters Insurance Is a Must

With winter months ahead, renters should make certain they have a contents insurance policy that covers fire damage. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, residential fires are more prevalent in winter months than in spring or summer months. A residential fire can completely destroy a home and all of its contents. discusses the importance of having a comprehensive policy.
Residential fires are more common in winter months partly because of the increased number of cooking and heating fires. As the cost of heating homes increases with the colder temperatures, people will turn to using fireplaces, wood stoves, space heaters and other cheaper alternatives to expensive utilities. Although these are valuable options, they do come with major risks that are preventable. Safety precautions should always be taken to avoid residential fires.
Fires are detrimental to a home. If the entire complex and contents are not destroyed by the flames, they likely will be by smoke or water damage. Many people who rent think their personal belongings are covered by their landlord’s insurance policy; however, this is generally not true. Unless a landlord has a specific rider in their policy that covers their tenant’s contents and belongings, the responsibility of replacing the items is that of the renter. This is why a contents insurance policy is necessary.

Replacing all the items inside a home is expensive. A renter should consider the cost of their computers, televisions, DVD players, electronics, furniture, kitchen appliances and supplies, clothing, jewelry, and other items that would need to be replaced. Most people cannot afford to do so without assistance from a contents insurance policy.

Standard renters insurance policies cover 16 types of perils, one of which is fire. A general policy covers the following: fire or lightning, windstorm or hail, explosion, riot or civil commotion, damage caused by aircraft, damage caused by vehicles, smoke, vandalism or malicious mischief, theft, volcanic eruption, falling objects, and weight of ice or snow or sleet. They also cover specific water damage, plumbing damage, and electrical current damage. These items all are covered on a standard policy for the average of $10 to $20 a month.



Like what you see? Then give us your feedback.

Go ahead. Don't be shy! Use the sharing functions found on this page to rate us using a "Like" or "+1".
If you have something to add or ask, use the comment box to let us know. We hope you enjoy the page, and will visit often. - Agape Brokers Insurance Agency -